Topics

Wednesday night net info

Mark Kanzler

The wind has taken out John's antenna W5JFR and he has not put it back up yet.  Therefore, there will be NO NET this month on Wednesday. And we are addressing the problem of repeater coverage so that more MARC members can check in to the net. Some of us live too close to the mountains and we get "shadowed" into Burt's repeater Hopefully by February's net we will have the problem worked out.  Please stay tuned!!

Saturday is the monthly SO Cal meeting of MARC.  Please plan on joining us for my first meeting as acting president. I am sure there will be lots of discussions about several things MARC, including new name badges, new ways to pay yearly dues and merchandise and much much more. However, we really need your input as well, so come and enjoy good food and the best company.

Marie Callendars restaurant
307 E Katella Ave, Orange, CA 92867

Breakfast at 8:00 am, meeting at 9:00 am

73

zippy

Mark Kanzler, Ham on a Hog KE6ZRP, 2016 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

James Carter (KN4VZE)

As a remote member, it would be great to be able to join in Net Meetings via EchoLink or one of the digital modes.

Could also be a backup when repeater coverage is compromised.

What are your thoughts?

Best Regards,

James

Mark Kanzler

Thanks James, that is certainly one of the options we want to work on.  I actually did that in the past, but I can no longer get into the repeater we are using from my home in Burbank.  But....we are working on it!

Thanks

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020, 07:31:32 AM PST, James Carter (KN4VZE) <tegatai@...> wrote:

As a remote member, it would be great to be able to join in Net Meetings via EchoLink or one of the digital modes.

Could also be a backup when repeater coverage is compromised.

What are your thoughts?

Best Regards,

James

John Beckwith

And we do have a couple of ideas jelling…. Beyond Echolink.   We have a member who also belongs to a group who run a network of repeaters - both analog and digital.   We’re working with him to come up with something.

Personally I’m just getting started (barely) in digital myself.   I have a Yaesu digital radio (Fusion) as well as a hotspot that allows me to get into DMR.

So, if anyone has any suggestions - give a holler and let’s see what we can come up with.

John, N6JCB
Westchester, CA

On Jan 7, 2020, at 8:17 AM, Mark Kanzler via Groups.Io <ke6zrp_mark@...> wrote:

Thanks James, that is certainly one of the options we want to work on.  I actually did that in the past, but I can no longer get into the repeater we are using from my home in Burbank.  But....we are working on it!

Thanks

zippy

Mark Kanzler, Ham on a Hog KE6ZRP , 2016 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020, 07:31:32 AM PST, James Carter (KN4VZE) <tegatai@...> wrote:

As a remote member, it would be great to be able to join in Net Meetings via EchoLink or one of the digital modes.

Could also be a backup when repeater coverage is compromised.

What are your thoughts?

Best Regards,

James

John Beckwith

Belay that!   I’m willing to run the SoCal net this week.   I’ve never been very good at checking in - but I’ll come up this Wednesday on the repeater we’ve been using and see who else shows up.
I’ll be listening on 145.440– 136.5, but I believe the below frequencies are linked in as well.
449.880– 146.2
445.480– 131.8

If possible, I will also bring up my Yaesu Fusion room so stay tuned for the specifics on that.    And if someone has a DMR Room, I’ll take check in’s on that as well….  Just give me the specifics….

I love challenges…..:-))

John, N6JCB
Westchester, CA

On Jan 7, 2020, at 12:04 AM, Mark Kanzler via Groups.Io <ke6zrp_mark@...> wrote:

[...]

Rod Rath

John, N6JCB, thanks for the info about the Fusion and DMR possibilities for tomorrow nights net. I will be waiting your info to see if I can make it happen up here in my neck of the woods; Yakima WA.
It would be great to be able to check in.

Thanks.
Rod Rath kc7vqr
Selah, WA.

John Beckwith

Rod,

Remember - you’re dealing with a Digital Rookie here (at least as far as radios go.).  I’m working right now to figure out (remember?) how to setup a room with my Yaesu radio.   I have the FTM-100 and HRI-200 and I did it some months ago - but never had anyone “enter” the room….:-(.  And I recently started trying to set it up differently without the room and without the HRI-200.   We do have a member in AZ that setup a room and we talked there, so that may be the short term answer if he’s willing (and the creek don’t rise….:-)

Of course - I could end up getting everything working (well, almost “everything”) but I would end up using 3 different radios and frequencies - so I would end up repeating myself over the other two.   Not exactly “optimum”…lol.  But, one step at a time.

Again - open to ideas and suggestions from all the Experts out there….

Thanks,

John, N6JCB
Westchester, CA

On Jan 7, 2020, at 4:11 PM, Rod Rath <rrath@...> wrote:

John, N6JCB, thanks for the info about the Fusion and DMR possibilities for tomorrow nights net. I will be waiting your info to see if I can make it happen up here in my neck of the woods; Yakima WA.
It would be great to be able to check in.

Thanks.
Rod Rath kc7vqr
Selah, WA.

John Beckwith

So, I’ve figured out how to do Analog on the local repeater, Digital Yaesu Fusion and DMR all at the same time - of course, I’m listening to three different frequencies on 2 different radios.   So, there’s no crossover.  Not to mention I only have 2 ears - and those tend to get confused when hearing different things.  (Which goes for the brain in between those ears as well….)

So, if someone can give me a quiet DMR room and YSF room - we can all meet in one or more of those places.  (Still trying to get my YSF room working…)

Progress - if not entirely practical….:-)

John, N6JCB
Westchester, CA

On Jan 7, 2020, at 4:23 PM, John Beckwith <jbeckwit47@...> wrote:

[...]

I think I’ve got my room setup - so if there are any YSF users out there give it a try
N6JCB-Room1 - 60798

Thanks,

John, N6JCB
Westchester, CA

On Jan 7, 2020, at 6:37 PM, John Beckwith via Groups.Io <jbeckwit47@...> wrote:

[...]

I just put a call to Michael asking if there is a PAPA talkgroup that we can use for the net tomorrow.  If he gets back to me, I will let you know and will put it out on the list..  otherwise, we can probably use Lukens, TAC3 talkgrkoup.

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020, 06:52:38 PM PST, John Beckwith <jbeckwit47@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks  -  I’ll try to get that one setup at least,

John

(310) 345-8947 Cell

On Jan 7, 2020, at 9:21 PM, Mark Kanzler via Groups.Io <ke6zrp_mark@...> wrote:

[...]

I will let the guy know to set up his fusion station to the info below. Most likely will be tomorrow afternoon before he sets it up.

Thanks.
Rod Rath
Selah, WA
cell - 509-952-6077