Topics

Trailer hitch required for Honda 2007 Gold Wing

Krista Owens, (KB6MYR)

Hello Everyone,

I am in the market for a trailer hitch and a Ball mount for my 2007 1800 Goldwing. I would also like to buy or rent a small trailer to tow behind my bike. I’d like to go to the Babes Ride Out 7 in October, but I’m not really decided. If I can purchase a trailer hitch, the electrical wiring/connectors and either install it myself or have it installed, then all I have to do is locate a small trailer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is my bike too old?
Many thanks,
Krista
KB6MYR

Jeff Gallagher

Your bike is definitely not too old. I have been using an Add-on Hitch since I got my 2012 and had a hitch on my 1996 as well. The important thing is to get a hitch that attaches to the frame, preferably at 4 points. Add-on do this, Kuriyakins don't. I suggest having it professionally installed. It's not for the mechanically uninclined.

I have both a Harbor Freight Tagalong trailer and a KwikKamp tent trailer I tow. Both of them tow easy although, if I had my druthers, I would have electric trailer brakes on the KwikKamp.

Choice of trailer would depend on purpose and amount of useless crap you want to carry with you. I only say that because before I had the trailer, I carried all my camping gear on a hitch rack mounted on the hitch of the bike, lol...

Regards,

Jeff Gallagher WB6ALR
Commander, Albert E. Schwab Post 555
(714) 206-6398
www.AmericanLegionPost555.com

"If you can't annoy someone with what you write, I think there's little point in writing." - Kingsley Amis, British Novelist, 1971.

--
Jeff KB6SUP
Tustin , CA

John Beckwith

Krista,

We have a trailer you’re welcome to borrow.   I’ll have to check the tires, but they should be in good shape - and there’s a spare.   Tows just fine.   And looks decent.   See Pix.   (Painted to match my 1500 by Zippy - nice job!!!)

You should be able to get the hitch and wiring without any problem.   J&P or wherever.   I never towed with my 1800 - but did with my 1500.

Good luck and let me know….

John

(310) 345-8947 Cell

On Sep 7, 2019, at 8:13 PM, Krista Owens, (KB6MYR) <krista.marc.ms150@...> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I am in the market for a trailer hitch and a Ball mount for my 2007 1800 Goldwing.  I would also like to buy or rent a small trailer to tow behind my bike.  I’d like to go to the Babes Ride Out 7 in October, but I’m not really decided.  If I can purchase a trailer hitch, the electrical wiring/connectors and  either install it myself or have it installed, then all I have to do is locate a small trailer.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Or is my bike too old?
Many thanks,
Krista
KB6MYR

John Beckwith

BTW - One thing Jeff and I didn’t mention - my hitch on the trailer is a “swivel” hitch (or whatever it’s called.).  Basically it swivels when you lean - so no strain at all on the ball.   Really nice that way.

John

(310) 345-8947 Cell

On Sep 7, 2019, at 11:10 PM, John Beckwith via Groups.Io <jbeckwit47@...> wrote:

Krista,

We have a trailer you’re welcome to borrow.   I’ll have to check the tires, but they should be in good shape - and there’s a spare.   Tows just fine.   And looks decent.   See Pix.   (Painted to match my 1500 by Zippy - nice job!!!)

You should be able to get the hitch and wiring without any problem.   J&P or wherever.   I never towed with my 1800 - but did with my 1500.

Good luck and let me know….
<Kings Canyon Bike Trailer.jpg><Trailer Kings Canyon.jpg>
On Sep 7, 2019, at 8:13 PM, Krista Owens, (KB6MYR) <krista.marc.ms150@...> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I am in the market for a trailer hitch and a Ball mount for my 2007 1800 Goldwing.  I would also like to buy or rent a small trailer to tow behind my bike.  I’d like to go to the Babes Ride Out 7 in October, but I’m not really decided.  If I can purchase a trailer hitch, the electrical wiring/connectors and  either install it myself or have it installed, then all I have to do is locate a small trailer.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Or is my bike too old?
Many thanks,
Krista
KB6MYR

John Beckwith

One more “BTW" - that picture from the front at Kings Canyon made it into a Wing World edition some time ago…..:-)

John, N6JCB

On Sep 7, 2019, at 11:12 PM, John Beckwith via Groups.Io <jbeckwit47@...> wrote:

[...]

Spiffy trailer, John.

I never saw the need for a swivel hitch but I don't suppose they would hurt.

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019, 11:15 PM John Beckwith <jbeckwit47@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you Jeff!

Before Andy Bocker moved to Arizona, he gave me a cooler box on a steel platform, that has a long square pipe coming out the back. Somehow this small square pole needs to find its way into a trailer receiver. I need to take a picture so as to better descibe. I know its not what I originally asked about. Maybe some will know more.

Can I send pictures in this email program?

Thank you for all your great info!

Krista

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019, 11:07 PM Jeff Gallagher <ocpd44@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi John!
I just may take you up on your offer. Let me see if I can get a hitch installed, and a vacation day for the trip.

Krista

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019, 11:10 PM John Beckwith <jbeckwit47@...> wrote:
[...]

Just attach them like any email.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019, 9:43 PM Krista Owens, (KB6MYR) <krista.marc.ms150@...> wrote:
[...]

Just let me know.   Note - the trailer has a platform for an Ice Chest (though I don’t think I have it anymore.)   I believe I got it from West Marine, but I can always measure.

To add a comment to Jeff’s note about installation - I can’t speak to the 1800, but I installed the hitch on my 1500 and had complete faith in it’s usability and reliability.  Was very straight forward.

On Sep 8, 2019, at 9:46 PM, Krista Owens, (KB6MYR) <krista.marc.ms150@...> wrote:

[...]

<Trailer Kings Canyon.jpg>
<Kings Canyon Bike Trailer.jpg>

John Beckwith

If I were to guess - I would guess the “pipe” is probably a 1 1/4”  inside hitch “pipe” - designed for 1 1/4” receiver hitch.  That’s what is usually used on motorcycles (vs. larger 2” standard on cars.). I suspect you’ll find a hole in the pipe for the locking pin.

So, when you install the hitch on the bike, you just slide the platform into the receiver and insert the pin and safety pin and you’re all set to go.   You just need to tie down the ice chest to the platform.

On Sep 8, 2019, at 9:50 PM, Jeff Gallagher <ocpd44@...> wrote:

[...]

That's probably it. Had one on my 1500. I think I still have the rack if you're interested.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019, 10:41 PM John Beckwith <jbeckwit47@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jeff and John,

I’ve decided not to go on the ride in October, as I am realizing that my night school class’s homework is going to be pretty intensive. So I’m going to stay home and study, study, study….

Thank you for your help.

Krista