Topics

Returning Member VE2NY

John Beckwith

Greetings,

Please welcome returning member Denis Genest, VE2NY, from Chateauguay, Quebec, Canada. Denis joined MARC some years ago after meeting Ray Davis. In returning to MARC, he brought with him a couple of his Canadian friends from the Montreal area as new members.

Denis on your part, introduce yourself and tell us a little about your riding, talking etc.

So give Denis a holler and welcome him back to MARC.

John, N6JCB, Secretary
Westchester, CA
@jbeckwit

Denis

Hello everyone my name is Denis I am a radio amateur since 1984 and I have been riding motorcycles for 45 years my last 7 motorcycles are Goldwing presently GL1800 / 2018 DCT, retired as a government employee. I joined the MARC association from the start as chairman Mr Ray Davis for me he was an inspiring and very devoted man as well as Mrs Bonnie and all the members for the devotion and their good deeds. Good luck to the President and his team.
Denis
Sorry about my english, but french are my first language.

Le 5 janv. 2020 à 11:15, John Beckwith <jbeckwit47@...> a écrit :

Greetings,

Please welcome returning member Denis Genest, VE2NY, from Chateauguay, Quebec, Canada.   Denis joined MARC some years ago after meeting Ray Davis.   In returning to MARC, he brought with him a couple of his Canadian friends from the Montreal area as new members.

Denis on your part, introduce yourself and tell us a little about your riding, talking etc.

So give Denis a holler and welcome him back to MARC.

John, N6JCB, Secretary
Westchester, CA

James Carter (KN4VZE)

Bienvenue!

Mark Kanzler

Hello Denis,

Please excuse the delay in getting back to you as I have been busy with things at the house (getting a new roof before it rains again) and did not take the time much at the computer. I joined MARC about 15 years ago and met all of the old gang and fell in love with the club.  It was a great fit, as I was learning about riding and putting my radio on the bike at the same time.  I learned much from them and have been trying to pass that same kind of spirit on now.  My first bike with a radio on it was my 1993 Harley Sportster 1200 and I used a handheld radio with a 5/8 wave antenna mounted to the bike. It worked well for most of the events since they were local and close to a repeater. I now have a 2016 Harley Ultra Classic with 2 radios on it, an Icom IC2730 dual bander with the bluetooth module and a Sena 20S bluetooth in my helmet.  Super simple, easy to hook up, and get good reports of my audio. The other radio is a TYT MD 380 hand held DMR radio with a Sena  SM10 adapter to bluetooth into my helmet.  It works OK, but not all that great.  The HT is in the trunk, so I can not change channels with it without stopping, nor adjust the volume from the radio.  The problem is that I do not have enough room for the HT up on the handlebars.  I am thinking of getting a mobile with a detachable head and mount it on top of the Icom head.  I really like the DMR for the clarity of the audio, plus the ability to talk world wide.  I have a ham friend in Italy IW3HTY who I visited this last May and gave him a DMR radio, and we have talked while I was motorcycle mobile. I will be going back in late August and then will spend some time in the south of France with another ham friend and his wife and we are renting BMW for about a week.  Lyon France, and south, wherever the front wheel takes us. And some more time with another ham friend who lives in Switzerland KO6DX.

So now I am the acting president of MARC and have challenged myself to help bring more members into the club to bolster it back up to a good membership of various riders across North America.  I am not sure where it is that you live, I see the Canadian call, and you speak French.  Awesome.Next week, I will be getting a language course so that I can learn French in preparation for my summer trip. (or at least a little bit so I don't look like a stupid tourist).  I hope that our paths meeting sometime.  Hams on motorcycles are a special breed and I am always excited to spend time making a new friend on the air as well as in person.

Be sure to keep in touch with us via the MARC group list.

73 for now

Mark, but mostly known as "zippy" from my call sign "zippy red pajamas"

Acting president

Mark Kanzler, Ham on a Hog KE6ZRP , 2016 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

On Sunday, January 5, 2020, 07:49:44 PM MST, Denis <ve2ny@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Mark thanks to get back to me.
I also run Portable radio Anytone AT-878UV plus
Bluetooth PTT, and Bluetooth headset sena 20s
evo I am verry happy with the setup right now, but
I am working to add another mobile antenna on my 2018 goldwing. to be followed.
KK5DON as youtube on the radio setup(portable)

Bonne Soirée (Have nice evening)