Topics

Replace CB antenna with ham antenna

Michael Rickey (AF6FB)

I received an email via the web site. He is asking about putting a ham antenna where the CB antenna is typically mounter. His GW does not have a CB or antenna.

Thoughts, Ideas, Links?

--
Michael AF6FB
http://af6fb.net

John Beckwith

Michael,

No help here.   I know I thought about it many years ago - but don’t recall finding anything doable?   Gotta believe it would be a lot easier to do what we do and mount a dedicated antenna.  Especially if he has a rack.  We (I) have the mounts.

Thanks,

John, N6JCB
Westchester, CA

On Oct 14, 2019, at 4:30 PM, Michael Rickey (AF6FB) <michael.rickey@...> wrote:

I received an email via the web site. He is asking about putting a ham antenna where the CB antenna is typically mounter. His GW does not have a CB or antenna.

Thoughts, Ideas, Links?

--
Michael AF6FB
http://af6fb.net

Mark Kanzler

Having never owned a wing, I have no input on this mater.

Mark Kanzler, Ham on a Hog KE6ZRP Echolink node KE6ZRP-L, 2016 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

On Monday, October 14, 2019, 04:30:21 PM PDT, Michael Rickey (AF6FB) <michael.rickey@...> wrote:

I received an email via the web site. He is asking about putting a ham antenna where the CB antenna is typically mounter. His GW does not have a CB or antenna.

Thoughts, Ideas, Links?

--
Michael AF6FB
http://af6fb.net

Jeff Gallagher

Check with Burt N6USO. He has been running a ham antenna in the CB mount for years.

Jeff Gallagher WB6ALR
Sgt., E-4, USAF '72-'76
Honorably Discharged, Honored to Serve

www.lesstraveledroadsgw.wordpress.com

"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there is little point in writing." Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019, 5:17 PM Mark Kanzler via Groups.Io <ke6zrp_mark=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Having never owned a wing, I have no input on this mater.

Mark Kanzler, Ham on a Hog KE6ZRP Echolink node KE6ZRP-L, 2016 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

On Monday, October 14, 2019, 04:30:21 PM PDT, Michael Rickey (AF6FB) <michael.rickey@...> wrote:

I received an email via the web site. He is asking about putting a ham antenna where the CB antenna is typically mounter. His GW does not have a CB or antenna.

Thoughts, Ideas, Links?

--
Michael AF6FB
http://af6fb.net

--
Jeff KB6SUP
Tustin , CA

John Reynolds

  The last person in our group to do this was Butch Macy, unfortunately he has passed to silent Key.  CB antenna mount to HAM.  It can be done but takes some engineering.  First you  to need the CB antenna.  Remove the antenna part from the mount then hollow it out leaving just the base shell.  Them machine a So239 to fit inside and secure it (cannot be glued or epoxied) a good electrical ground is required.  Then install the HAM antenna remembering that it cannot overly stress the old CB mount. .  Also running the antenna cable takes some thinking as the BC cable might be the wrong impedance.  Good luck .

John F. Reynolds President MARC Rialto, CA

[...]

Michael it can be done however as yet no one has had excellent results.  We have always recommended one of our mounts on a well grounded luggage rack or similar surface.  See my next post on this subject.

John F. Reynolds President MARC Rialto, CA

I received an email via the web site. He is asking about putting a ham antenna where the CB antenna is typically mounter. His GW does not have a CB or antenna.

Thoughts, Ideas, Links?

--
Michael AF6FB
http://af6fb.net

John Reynolds

Sorry for some of my spelling errors.  I sometimes reverse letters or numbers and even when I proof read them I tend to see them in the right order.  It is only when I go back an hour or so later I can see the error.

Michael it can be done however as yet no one has had excellent results.  We have always recommended one of our mounts on a well grounded luggage rack or similar surface.  See my next post on this subject.

John F. Reynolds President MARC Rialto, CA

I received an email via the web site. He is asking about putting a ham antenna where the CB antenna is typically mounter. His GW does not have a CB or antenna.

Thoughts, Ideas, Links?

--
Michael AF6FB
http://af6fb.net

Timothy Lindstrom

the screwdriver antennas used a CB antenna above the coil that would emerge from the pipe... worked

100,000 BMW Prayer Miles by Timothy Lindstrom, www.smashwords.com