Hello everyone, from W6DAJ

David Johnson

Hello everyone, I've just recently brought out my radios after about 15 year hiatus, and I found MARC on the internet, while trying to decide how I would get a radio working on my motorcycle.  I started riding motorcycles during my hiatus, using them for my commute, and became a riding instructor for the CMSP.  I'm looking forward for an opportunity to put the two together.

My radios are Kenwood TH-D7a (HT) and Kenwood TM-V7A (mobile), yep, they aren't very new.  I ride a 2008 KLR-650 and 2007 BMW R1200ST.

-- David

John Beckwith

David,

Welcome to MARC and the MARC list.   Plenty of help here getting you setup with a radio on your bike.  Let us know your initial thoughts for putting a radio on your bike.   Are you thinking of using one of the radios you mentioned?   Or starting from scratch.

And, FYI - our monthly meeting is tomorrow morning - 8:00 pacific time -

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89361336570?pwd=NFpsd1dnZlNqSWp5NFNxNE00VWlhZz09

Meeting ID: 893 6133 6570

Passcode: 205197

Would love to have you join us.

Again Welcome...,

On Mar 12, 2021, at 7:10 PM, David <david@...> wrote:

Hello everyone, I've just recently brought out my radios after about 15 year hiatus, and I found MARC on the internet, while trying to decide how I would get a radio working on my motorcycle.  I started riding motorcycles during my hiatus, using them for my commute, and became a riding instructor for the CMSP.  I'm looking forward for an opportunity to put the two together.

My radios are Kenwood TH-D7a (HT) and Kenwood TM-V7A (mobile), yep, they aren't very new.  I ride a 2008 KLR-650 and 2007 BMW R1200ST.

-- David

Timothy Lindstrom

David,

Yes, this IS the Premier Club!  I searched for a Ham radio/Motorcycle Club.. then when staying with my brother in law who lives in Apple Valley, Ca... and listening to the 2 meter repeaters in the area.. caught a conversation!  That was back in 1997... I headed to California in 2002... Some of the riders were amazed that "their club"  was drawing people from not  only Northern California, but Illinois and my state, Minnesota!

I had installed a Icom 706mkii and a screwdriver antenna to 3 different motorcycles.  BMW K100RT..LT and K1100RS...  Using more of 20 meters than 2 meters.. breaking up Rag chewing.. by calling out Motorcycle Mobile.... amazing how quiet it gets.. "Who?  on what?"

take care!

ab0ts, Tim Lindstrom
Columbia Heights, MN
2003 BMW K1200RS

100,000 BMW Prayer Miles by Timothy Lindstrom, www.smashwords.com

From: "David" <david@...>
To: main@marchq.groups.io
Subject: Re: [marchq] Hello everyone, from W6DAJ
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 07:08:36 -0800

That's a great story Tim, wonderful to hear.  I'm glad this group is attracting and inviting people from all over!