Hello all, from a new member.

Stephen Hischar

Edited

My name is Stephen J Hischar, amateur callsign N3GTO and GMRS callsign WREZ930. I’m located in northeast Pennsylvania. I ride a 2008 Harley Davidson Anniversary Ultra Classic. The bike has over 101,000 miles on it, so I obviously do a lot of riding. I’ve been a licensed amateur since March 2000.  With all the miles I put on the old girl, I’ve often thought of adding a dual band amateur radio, but have never done so. After hours of research on motorcycle installations, I discovered your club page, and it really piqued my interest. I recently decided to join, and support both of my favorite pastimes. As for amateur radio, I’m currently limited on HF to a Yaesu FTDX-1200 and Yaesu FT-991A, utilizing either my Chameleon F-Loop 2.0, Transworld (now DX Engineering) TW2010 and TW4040, Super Antenna MP-1 or Alpha HD-FMJ. For VHF/UHF, I have more radios than I could count. The most recent being a few Anytone 578s and two Anytone 878s. I’ve accumulated multiple HTs to include Alinco, Icom, BFDX and TYT. For mobile radios, in addition to the Anytones, I have 2 Yaesu FT-7800s, one of which I’d like to install on my bike. I got interested in DMR back in 2019, and currently enjoying that mode the most. The plan for my other FT-7800 is to turn it into a high powered hotspot. I have the raspberry pi and MMDVM board from Repeater Builders, but am waiting until I retire in mid June, and move to Florida, to get everything up and running. I also have a Kenwood TKR-820 GMRS repeater in storage, waiting to be put on the air when I settle in Florida. I did have a GMRS license back in 1999 (KAG1185), but allowed it to expire. I wish I was able to renew that 3x4 GMRS call, but I’m stuck with the more recent 4x3.  That’s me, in a nutshell. I’m looking forward to being part of your club.

Regards,
Stephen N3GTO

John Kristian W6JMK

Welcome, Stephan! I'm looking forward to hearing about your motorcycle mobile project.

MARC is a great place to get advice. I imagine you've already seen the Tech Center, and you're welcome to post questions here in groups.io. There's also a wealth of information about mobile equipment at http://www.k0bg.com/ .

Carlos Varon

Welcome Stephen!
I have family in Pittsburgh but live in Queens, NY
Good luck and welcome!
K2LCV- Carlos Varon
Flushing NY

718-374-1926

Please excuse any typos or spelling errors

"True patriotism isn't cheap.
It's about taking on a fair share of the burden of keeping America going"
-Robert Reich

Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 5:52 PM -0400 from jmkristian@... <jmkristian@...>:

Welcome, Stephan! I'm looking forward to hearing about your motorcycle mobile project.

MARC is a great place to get advice. I imagine you've already seen the Tech Center, and you're welcome to post questions here in groups.io. There's also a wealth of information about mobile equipment at http://www.k0bg.com/ .

John Beckwith

Stephen,

We have a few people running Yaesu’s and at least one with the 7800.   Let us know what you’ve done so far and we’ll what we can do to get you on the air Motorcycle Mobile….

John, N6JCB
Westchester, CA

On Apr 14, 2021, at 1:55 PM, Stephen Hischar <November3GTO@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Welcome to the group. I was raised in PA  (Mars) and have ridden through Pittsburgh to Harrisburg on bicycles years ago. My 2005 Yellow Wing has 199,000 miles so I too like the roads less traveled.
I'm running a Kenwood D700 with a Comet antenna.HP-32FHN which is one of the most durable antennas made. It has the nickname of RhinoKiller.
I got married again 10 years ago so the Yellow Wing is parked most of the time and I am riding a 2005 Hannigan Trike. I'm 81 so I guess that's a good idea riding two-up on those off camber rough back roads.
Keep the shiny side up!

Norm - N9ZKS
SFC USA Ret

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 6:13 PM John Beckwith <jbeckwit47@...> wrote:
[...]

John Reynolds

Hello Stephen,  I am the past president of MARC and administer the MARC Facebook page.  It is ease to post pictures there and exchange ideas.  Feel free to request membership and then post photos of you set up and instillation.  I also have brackets to mount antennas on 1/2 inch tube and flat luggage racks.  See our web page.  Use this MARC list for help with or to share tips on your installation.  Again welcome to the group.

John F. Reynolds, MSGT USAF Ret. Rialto, CA