Topics

New Member: N6QR

Chris Hoffman - N6QR

Greetings!

My name is Chris, and I've been riding on-and-off since 2008. I've been a ham since high school, in 1993.

Bio:

I grew up in a motorcycling family in San Luis Obispo. I still own my first ride: a 2004[-ish] DL-1000 Franken-Bike which is only _just_ more quirky and full of gremlins than I am these days.

Ham-Wise, I started my radio career by tagging along with the Cal Poly Radio Club (W6BHZ). Over the next few years, I was lucky enough to participate in communication teams for local criterium, metric rides, and triathlons. I have loved running rover, sag, net control, dispatch, etc.Most recently, I have been in charge of placing and running APRS asset trackers for ambuli dispatched to race events.

My ham radio experience then carried me through a quick 5 years in the U.S. Army Signal Corps, where I repaired cryptography and HF gear... and then telephone switching, microwave, and satellite systems.

I came home during the 2001 recession, and wound up repairing farm radios and hilltop LTR repeaters in Santa Maria, and then found a job with a statewide VHF paging company, which eventually led to promotion as the Chief Engineer, thanks to my mentor and best friend John (KK6DJ; DL-650 rider).

Next up, I spent four years in the Telecommunications world as an engineer.  We then moved up to San Carlos at the very beginning of the 2008 recession in order to follow my Wife's career. I wound up making ends meet by working as an IT Contractor and earned my masters at Santa Clara. Then came my first 'real' job, thanks to my friend and mentor Leigh (WA5ZNU), working as an engineer at a Silicon Valley internet startup.

At the end of 2016 we moved up to Bremerton, WA (a pleasant ferry ride away from Seattle), thanks to my being hired to a very large online retailer. I was recommended by my friend and mentor Mark (KR6ZY, DL-650 rider).

For the last few years, due to some devious, intermittent electrical gremlins in my DL-1000, my 2-wheel adventures have been stuck '...on the shoulder.'

In a turn of events, I hope to take delivery of a BMW R1250RT (yes... I'm at "that" stage of my life) this week, with a spousal mandate to finally get back out on the road on a regular basis. I don't have a mobile rig picked out for the machine yet, but after reading Mikko's intro, I've been inspired to order a VGR-N7500, and intend to decide from there, depending how it interfaces with my [new] Sena 50S headset and what the real performance of the radio is while under way (I don't have a recent Android phone, so I'll have to decide how I want to control the radio, long-term).

My immediate goal is to get out and around the Olympic Peninsula as often as possible, and to attend MSF ARC as soon as they become available up here, and in 6-land.

HF-wise: I have been contesting on CW on-and-off since I was in high school. Currently, I run a G5RV Jr. and can probably work up a 100k score for a sweepstakes weekend, though most contests I'll be working from someone else's QTH.

VHF+-wise: While living in the Central Coast I was semi-active with ARES/RACES. In 1994 I received an Emergency Communications Commendation from the ARRL for net control work during the 41 Fire. I was active with FARS and PAARA while living in the Bay Area. In Washington, I was the county EC for these last few years and helped reconstitute the EmComm effort as Kitsap Auxiliary Radio Service (KitsapARS.org). I've recently stepped back to refocus my time on more personal endeavors.

Going forward: My wife's plan is to get me out of the house and on the road or the back porch project as often as possible. This, of course, will eventually mean more ride-on ferry commuting, along with some good 1-up trips south to spend time with friends/family as opportunities arise.

I'm looking forward to finally being a part of MARC (I have been aware of the club since 2009), and participating in a much more [physically] 'active' arm of the radio hobby. John has already let me know about the Oregon ride, and I hope to participate.

Before long l'll be looking for ways to add DMR to my ride, as well as how to most efficiently add Ham Radio to motorcycles (and, hopefully, build further participation). I am certainly interested in representing MARC at local/regional hamfests, should there be others who are so inclined.

/CH
N6QR

IMG_0059.JPG
DL1000.jpg

Mikko Sannala, AB6RF

Edited

Hi Chris!

(another ex-DL650 rider here)
Well, you've sure had a colorful life, done a lot in a relatively short time. Good for you!
I currently have three (used to be four) RF engineers in my team who also graduated from Cal Poly, so I can see where you got such a great start for your career.
Oh, and I'm also active with PAARA. :-)  What a great club.

You currently live in a very beautiful area, even years after living up there, I still very much miss the North West.
And when you get that RT, I highly recommend the "North Cascades Loop".
Hwy-20 to Winthrop, then 97/153 to Wenatchee, and Hwy-2 back to the coast.  It's really a great ride. Some sections along the Hwy-20 look almost like the Alps!
Man I miss riding up there...

If you have any questions about the VR-N7500, or how I have it setup, all you need to do is ask  :-)

Mikko, AB6RF

Chris Hoffman - N6QR

Thanks for your warm welcome, Mikko!

Ships passing in the night, eh?

Thank you, as well, for the Cascades route recommendation. Any excuse to pass through Leavenworth will always be welcome.

I will admit that I miss some parts of the Bay Area. Riding from Woodside to Skyline and then out on Route 9 was my go-to when I needed to blow off some steam... I have many fond memories of the 130 and Mines, as well.

Kristin and PAARA, indeed, make an amazing radio club. I get to see many of them during the mothly meetings on Zoom, which -- for now-- has become a welcome diversion.

BARF is a fantastic group, BTW: My brother would ride with them for years before moving to 5-land, and a number of my old friends (none are hams) are still actively participating in rides out of the Central Coast.

It turns out I should be taking delivery of a new machine this afternoon... this is getting exciting.

/ch
N6QR

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 7:06 PM Mikko Sannala, AB6RF via groups.io <mikkops=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

John Beckwith

Chris,

I’m familiar with some of those BA routes as well - unfortunately never on a bike.  (I grew up in the Bay Area - but haven’t ridden much up there.)

And, if we make it up for the ALA event, I’m hoping to stay up long enough to enjoy some of those rides as well.

And Congrats on the bike - send pix asap....:-)

Good luck - 73’s and keep the shiny side up...:-)

John, N6JCB
Westchester, Ca
jbeckwit47@...

On Jun 24, 2020, at 12:19 PM, Chris Hoffman <choffma@...> wrote:

[...]

Beautiful day to bring the new Steed home!

A quick bite to eat...

... and a gentile boat ride home on the Bainbridge Ferry.

First impressions:
- The Sena headset interfaces with the bike perfectly, but the helmet makes more wind noise on the highway than I remember... I’ll have to keep playing with positioning of the helmet speakers, as currently they are behind the cheek pads on my Arai RX-7 Corsair.
- At 6’4”, there is a surprisingly small amount of buffeting at any speed, regardless of cross wind, which is a big change from my screen-less DL-1000. The adjustable windshield does help, but so far I’ve been happiest just leaving it all the way down.
- Fitting a mobile rig will be a fun challenge... there is not as much space under the seat as I remember, thanks to the advanced audio system, so I’ll be getting creative.
- Excellent ride on the highway, and in the city. I can’t wait to get back out on the road.

/ch
N6QR

Sent from my thumbs

On Jun 24, 2020, at 20:14, Chris Hoffman <choffma@...> wrote:

[...]

Very Nice!!!    Congratulations!

As for the wind noise - if you have a 20S or 50S - there’s an alternative.  The mount for those two (which are the same for both - except the speakers - supposed to be better on the 50) - but both have a headphone jack on the front of the mount.

I use that because my hearing isn’t what it used to be and I use in-ear headphones plugged info the mount.   They’re a significant improvement.   Especially if you use noise-cancelling (e.g. Bose) or noise-blocking (something with foam ear pieces.).   A significant improvement for me - and should help with the wind noise.    Just a thought.

Enjoy.....

John, N6JCB

On Jun 24, 2020, at 8:42 PM, Chris Hoffman <choffma@...> wrote:

Beautiful day to bring the new Steed home!
<image4.jpeg>
<image2.jpeg>

A quick bite to eat...
<image6.jpeg>

... and a gentile boat ride home on the Bainbridge Ferry.
<image0.jpeg>
<image5.jpeg>

[...]

Timothy Lindstrom

Chris,

I have had BMW motorcycles since  1984.  From the R75/3 to now I have the R1150RT and the K1200RS.  There is one more accessory that you may need.  Code Reader.  I ordered one due to messing with the Throttle Positioning Sensor on the RT...

With your new steed and all the electronics on these new beemers.. either find someone who has the code reader or buy it.

2015 I was at the Billings, Montana rally... A rider was planing to head home on Sunday morning.. his RT would not start.. so he headed to the u haul dealer and got a van... however another rider asked if he could check the broken RT... Found a fault code... erased it off the computer... The fellow returned the uhaul van back and rode home...

Are you a member of the BMW MOA?

Yep, I buy older ones and try to ride them over the 100,000 mile odometer.  the e book listed in my name I did that in 5 years. on a BMW K1100RS.

take care!

100,000 BMW Prayer Miles by Timothy Lindstrom, www.smashwords.com

Please note: message attached

From: "Chris Hoffman" <choffma@...>
To: main@marchq.groups.io
Subject: Re: [marchq] New Member: N6QR
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 20:38:46 -0700

Chris Hoffman - N6QR

Thanks, John!

I have injection-formed earplugs with embedded sound buds. I'll definitely be putting these in for the longer rides. With the Sena 50S I have, I can turn on ambient noise in order to hear all of the toll attendants and highway officers.

There was a gentleman that would take ear molds at the local motorcycle show, and send back custom plugs, made-to-order. I believe I have their info on my plugs case, in fact, if anyone is interested.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 9:13 PM John Beckwith <jbeckwit47@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Tim. I really appreciate the advice.

I've already joined up with the wsbmwrg, which is the bmwmoa and bmwra chapter club for Washington State. They just purchased a wifi-enabled GS-911 diagnostic tool for the club, so hopefully I'll be covered when the time comes.

For now, I'm going to be enjoying my break-in rides.

From: "Chris Hoffman" <choffma@...>
To: main@marchq.groups.io
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 20:38:46 -0700