Re: New Member: N6QR

Chris Hoffman - N6QR

Thanks, John!

I have injection-formed earplugs with embedded sound buds. I'll definitely be putting these in for the longer rides. With the Sena 50S I have, I can turn on ambient noise in order to hear all of the toll attendants and highway officers.

There was a gentleman that would take ear molds at the local motorcycle show, and send back custom plugs, made-to-order. I believe I have their info on my plugs case, in fact, if anyone is interested.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 9:13 PM John Beckwith <jbeckwit47@...> wrote:
Very Nice!!!    Congratulations!

As for the wind noise - if you have a 20S or 50S - there’s an alternative.  The mount for those two (which are the same for both - except the speakers - supposed to be better on the 50) - but both have a headphone jack on the front of the mount.

I use that because my hearing isn’t what it used to be and I use in-ear headphones plugged info the mount.   They’re a significant improvement.   Especially if you use noise-cancelling (e.g. Bose) or noise-blocking (something with foam ear pieces.).   A significant improvement for me - and should help with the wind noise.    Just a thought.

Enjoy.....

John, N6JCB

On Jun 24, 2020, at 8:42 PM, Chris Hoffman <choffma@...> wrote:

Beautiful day to bring the new Steed home!
<image4.jpeg>
<image2.jpeg>

A quick bite to eat...
<image6.jpeg>

... and a gentile boat ride home on the Bainbridge Ferry.
<image0.jpeg>
<image5.jpeg>

First impressions:
- The Sena headset interfaces with the bike perfectly, but the helmet makes more wind noise on the highway than I remember... I’ll have to keep playing with positioning of the helmet speakers, as currently they are behind the cheek pads on my Arai RX-7 Corsair.
- At 6’4”, there is a surprisingly small amount of buffeting at any speed, regardless of cross wind, which is a big change from my screen-less DL-1000. The adjustable windshield does help, but so far I’ve been happiest just leaving it all the way down.
- Fitting a mobile rig will be a fun challenge... there is not as much space under the seat as I remember, thanks to the advanced audio system, so I’ll be getting creative.
- Excellent ride on the highway, and in the city. I can’t wait to get back out on the road.

/ch
N6QR

Sent from my thumbs

On Jun 24, 2020, at 20:14, Chris Hoffman <choffma@...> wrote:

Chris,

I’m familiar with some of those BA routes as well - unfortunately never on a bike.  (I grew up in the Bay Area - but haven’t ridden much up there.)

And, if we make it up for the ALA event, I’m hoping to stay up long enough to enjoy some of those rides as well.

And Congrats on the bike - send pix asap....:-)

Good luck - 73’s and keep the shiny side up...:-)

John, N6JCB
Westchester, Ca

On Jun 24, 2020, at 12:19 PM, Chris Hoffman <choffma@...> wrote:

Thanks for your warm welcome, Mikko!

Ships passing in the night, eh?

Thank you, as well, for the Cascades route recommendation. Any excuse to pass through Leavenworth will always be welcome.

I will admit that I miss some parts of the Bay Area. Riding from Woodside to Skyline and then out on Route 9 was my go-to when I needed to blow off some steam... I have many fond memories of the 130 and Mines, as well.

Kristin and PAARA, indeed, make an amazing radio club. I get to see many of them during the mothly meetings on Zoom, which -- for now-- has become a welcome diversion.

BARF is a fantastic group, BTW: My brother would ride with them for years before moving to 5-land, and a number of my old friends (none are hams) are still actively participating in rides out of the Central Coast.

It turns out I should be taking delivery of a new machine this afternoon... this is getting exciting.

/ch
N6QR

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 7:06 PM Mikko Sannala, AB6RF via groups.io <mikkops=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Chris!

(another ex-DL650 rider here)
Well, you've sure had a colorful life, done a lot in a relatively short time. Good for you!
I currently have three (used to be four) RF engineers in my team who also graduated from Cal Poly, so I can see where you got such a great start for your career.
Oh, and I'm also active with PAARA. :-)  What a great club.

You currently live in a very beautiful area, even years after living up there, I still very much miss the North West.
And when you get that RT, I highly recommend the "North Cascades Loop".
Hwy-20 to Winthrop, then 97/153 to Wenatchee, and Hwy-2 back to the coast.  It's really a great ride. Some sections along the Hwy-20 look almost like the Alps!
Man I miss riding up there...

If you have any questions about the VR-N7500, or how I have it setup, all you need to do is ask  :-)

Mikko, AB6RF

Join main@marchq.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.